Publish Date: June 13, 2019
Application End Date: June 21, 2019
TOR for National Consultant for Rules and Guidelines
Position Title: National Consultant for Rules and Guidelines
Position Type: Short term Consultancy
Reporting: Team Leader, WorldFish-USAID supported FtF-BANA Project, BSFF
Advisory Support: Policy Adviser & Analytical specialist, BSFF
Location: BSFF Head Office, Dhaka.
Fisheries and Aquaculture Sector is one of the most important sectors in Bangladesh with currently 3.57% contribution to GDP. It has long been recognized that in Bangladesh many aqua inputs are used in the sector for disease prevention and management and growth augmentation. However, unregulated and unchecked use of aqua inputs can itself become a hazard if not planned well and if harmful substances are used. This may pose some problems of compromised food safety, adverse effects on aquaculture productivity as well as ecological consequences and other health hazards from food chain. There is a much felt need therefore to carry out a comprehensive study on the subject. BSFF is awarded with the “Work on policy consolidation, improvement in licensing, management process and effective use of aqua inputs” supported by WorldFish USAID FtF BANA Project. This project will initiate adopting a multi-disciplinary approach involving stakeholders in the public and private sector, representatives of academia and development partners.
Under the Project there is a specific component on preparation of a comprehensive inventory on acts, rules, regulations and guidelines governing the use of aqua inputs other than feed in aquaculture sector in Bangladesh. The exercise will also involve drawing relevant international and regional inputs for identifying the scope for future improvement of relevant national regulations and guidelines in this important area. Under the project, applications are invited from interested, qualified and experienced consultant to render following services:
Assignment/responsibilities of the Consultant
Under the guidance of the Team Leader, the selected consultant will be expected to undertake the following responsibilities-
- Will prepare a comprehensive inventory on acts, rules, regulations and guidelines governing the use of aqua inputs other than feed in aquaculture sector in Bangladesh.
- For the purpose, relevant government documents and materials will be collected by the consultant.
- Desktop review would be under taken with needed analysis.
- The work carried out by the consultant will also involve drawing relevant international and regional inputs for identifying the scope for future improvement of relevant Bangladesh acts, rules, regulations and guidelines in this important area.
- The Consultant will have to evaluate on the basis available material, extent of legal registration and licensing process.
- The Consultant will have to find out laps and gaps in the relevant Bangladesh regulations to control authorization, distribution and use of aqua-inputs in the sector.
- The Consultant will have to organize workshop with relevant bodies/departments and conduct FGDs under support and guidance provided by the Team Leader.
- The Consultant will prepare a comprehensive status report on the present enforcement practices of the Government and concerned agencies involved in enforcement of acts, rules, regulations and guidelines governing the use of aqua inputs other than feed in aquaculture sector in Bangladesh.
- The draft report will have to be submitted to the Team Leader three weeks before submission deadline of final report.
- The report will have to be finalized after the validation workshop by 30 September 2019 without any fail.
Tentative Contract Period
Total 30 (thirty) man-days between July-September, 2019.
To be indicated during the selection process. Consultant’s remuneration will be paid upon submission and acceptance of the final report.
- Relevant University degree in Fisheries science.
- Minimum 25 years of services and experiences on all aspects of aquaculture, especially aquaculture management practices.
- Knowledge on acts, rules, regulations and guidelines on the use of aqua inputs in Bangladesh as well as relevant international standards.
- Knowledge about government enforcement practices in the relevant area.
- Good report writing and analytical skills.
Candidate having previous experience on research oriented and survey work will be given preference.